Interested in Becoming a Mentor?
Who is a Mentor?
A mentor is a caring adult who is a positive role model in a child's life. A mentor is genuinely happy to see the child each time they meet. A mentor is refreshing and upbeat, someone who can be an objective observer, an encourager, a fun companion, and good listener.
A mentor sends a child the message that he or she is important in this world.
Studies reviewed demonstrate the benefits for students:
- Higher grade point averages and scores on standardized tests or rating scales;
- Enrollment in more challenging academic programs;
- More classes passed and credits earned;
- Better attendance;
- Improved behavior at home and at school;
- Better social skills and adaptation to school